| Location | History | Townships | Towns, Villages, etc. | Maps | Winfield Publications |
Grey County's boundaries are: north: Georgian Bay east: Simcoe County south: Dufferin & Wellington Counties west: Bruce County Counties of Ontario Index
Districts were the primary divisions of local government in early Ontario. They were abolished in 1849, with counties replacing them in importance. Grey County was created in 1851. Its townships were settled between 18__ and 18__. Prior to 1851, they had been part of Simcoe and Wellington Districts. Townships which were part of Simcoe District were: Artemesia, Collingwood, Euphrasia, Osprey, and St. Vincent. Townships which were part of Wellington District were: Bentinck, Derby, Egremont, Glenelg, Holland, Melancthon, Normanby, Proton, Sullivan, and Sydenham. Townships which were added to Grey in the late 1850's were: Keppel and Sarawak. Melancthon Township became part of Dufferin County in 1879.
Numbers refer to the Townships of Grey County map (to the right) Artemesia 12 Melancthon** 17 Bentinck 10 Normanby 14 Collingwood 9 Osprey 13 Derby 3 Proton 16 Egremont 15 Sarawak* 2 Euphrasia 8 St. Vincent 5 Glenelg 11 Sullivan 6 Holland 7 Sydenham 4 Keppel* 1 *Keppel and Sarawak were Indian territory until the late 1850's. Sarawak was part of Keppel until 1868. **Melancthon became part of Dufferin County in 1879. Townships of Ontario Index
Numbers refer to the Townships of Grey County map (to the right) Aberdeen 10 Cedarville 16 Allan Park 10 Durham 10,11 Alsfeldt 14 Holstein 15 Alvanley 3 Mount Forest* 14,15 Annan 4 Owen Sound 3,4 Arnott 7 Thornbury 9 Ayton 14 Wiarton** 1 *Mount Forest became part of Wellington County in 1865. **Wiarton became part of Bruce County in 1880. Places of Ontario Index
Setting Standards in Genealogy Publishing
© 2000-2018 Winfield Publishing . . . All Rights Reserved